Sunday, October 16, 2005

Text Books...

What a scandal! The text book comapnies just love jacking students with the high costs of books. My major is one of the more expensive (art history) while I am definately one of the poorer students. How are we to afford the books we need for our classes? Just as an example: My French book cost $116.00 for the text book and $65.00 for the Wprkbook (required). The book was supposed to last for three semesters. But the next semester they changed over to another edition! So... I had to shell out $125.00 for the new book and $75.00 for the workbook (still required)! And the previous edition has absolutely NO sell-back value for the school. I suppose I could sell it on something like half.com or even eBay, but that is time consuming. THIS IS A MESS and it MUST be worked out so that textbooks are not so expensive. I love school, but it's driving me into the poorhouse (in which education is supposed to be the magic bullet to kill poverty). Now if I could only stay in school long enough to get the degree in order to pay some of those student loans off. What a terrible cycle. More later....